When applying for a U.S. visa, children of all ages must be in possession of a valid foreign-travel passport issued by the proper passport authority of Tajikistan. The U.S. Embassy will not process visa applications for children who are included as dependents on their parent’s passport. Each individual applicant must possess his or her own personal passport.
All travelers to the United States no matter how young must have valid U.S. visas. However, the process of obtaining a visa for a child is somewhat easier. Most importantly, children under the age of 14 do not have to appear for a personal interview. A parent or guardian should appear for the interview instead, regardless of whether the parent will be traveling to the United States or already has a U.S. visa.
Bring the following child’s documents for the interview:
- The child’s passport
- The child’s birth certificate
- DS-160-application for non-immigrant visa
- Fees: $160 application fee
- A photocopy of the parent’s U.S. visa OR a letter explaining the educational program the child will be attending and listing all the children in the group (if applicable).
- One photograph of your child taken within the last six months (conforming to the guidelines on this webpage). If your child previously had a visa, as a rule, YOU MAY NOT SUBMIT THE SAME PHOTOGRAPH THAT APPEARED ON YOUR CHILD’S LAST VISA. Failure to submit a valid photograph will delay the processing of your case
- Supporting documentation required for your visa type
The child under 14 years old should still be registered for an interview via electronic calendar as a dependent of the relative who will be traveling. Although the child will be scheduled for an appointment, he\she does not have to appear at the interview. Instead, the parent should bring the above mentioned child’s documents for interview and confirmation page with them to their interview. Also the parent or other member of family has to notify the Consular Section in advance that he/she will bring child’s documents, so that Consular Section will make an access for the that person.
Children age 14 to 17 applying for a visa independently should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian at the time of the interview. An original Birth Certificate and the photo ID of the non-applying parent(s) with a signature on it as well as a copy of a valid US visa of the accompanying individual must be presented at the interview.