Fiancé(e) Visa

1. The Interview
K1 visas permit fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizen to enter the United States to get married. The marriage must take place within 90 days of arrival.  Children of fiancés/fiancées are given K2 visas.

The U.S. citizen must file the I-129F petition at the USCIS office with jurisdiction over his/her residence in the United States.  Please see detailed information on the USCIS website.

After USCIS approves the petition, it is transferred to the National Visa Center (NVC) for administrative processing.  NVC assigns the case number and forwards the case to the Consular Section of the U.S. Consulate General in Almaty.  To inquire into the status of your case you may send an email to or call 603-334-0700.

When the Consular Section receives the petition, the instructions on how to schedule the interview and prepare for it will be sent by email.

2. Case Status
Please come on the day and time you scheduled the interview with all required documents. More detailed information can be found here.

3. After the Interview
At the end of your immigrant visa interview, the consular officer will inform you whether your visa application is approved or denied.

Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant’s interview by a consular officer.  Applicants are advised of this requirement when they apply.  Most administrative processing is resolved within 60 days of the visa interview.  When administrative processing is required, the timing will vary based on the individual circumstances of each case.  You can check the status of your visa application on

If your visa has been denied, you may find useful information on Ineligibilities and Waivers on