PLEASE NOTE: Beginning September 1, 2018, the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Dushanbe will limit visa operations due to a staffing shortage. Visa interview appointments will be offered one week each month. Once available dates are set, appointment times can be viewed using the online calendar on the Embassy’s website. For emergencies and urgent travel, please contact the Consular section at DushanbeConsular@state.gov.
The purpose of your intended travel and other facts will determine what type of visa is required under U.S. immigration law. As a visa applicant, you will need to establish that you meet all requirements to receive the category of visa for which you are applying. You do not need to use the services of a professional company to prepare your application. For more detailed instructions on the application process, refer to the links below.
See our Directory of Visa Categories on usvisas.state.gov to determine which visa category might be appropriate for your purpose of travel to the United States.
There will be reduced visa appointment times for several weeks in September and October. If you have travel plans to the United States, please schedule appointments as soon as possible. For inquiries on expedited appointments for F1 student and J1 programs, please contact the Consular Section at DushanbeConsular@state.gov.
- The U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan does not process Immigrant Visas. See this page for more information.
What is a Visa?
A citizen of a foreign country who seeks to enter the United States generally must first obtain a U.S. visa, which is placed in the traveler’s passport, a travel document issued by the traveler’s country of citizenship.
Certain international travelers may be eligible to travel to the United States without a visa if they meet the requirements for visa-free travel. The Visa section of this website is all about U.S. visas for foreign citizens to travel to the United States.
(Note: U.S. citizens don’t need a U.S. visa for travel, but when planning travel abroad may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country they wish to visit.).
The U.S. Embassy Consular Section in Dushanbe, Tajikistan is located at:
109-A, Ismoili Somoni Avenue (Zarafshon district)
Dushanbe, Tajikistan, 734019
All immigrant visas for citizens of Tajikistan are processed at the U.S. Embassy in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
The immigrant visa section accepts phone calls: Monday and Wednesday, 9:00 – 12:00; Telephone: 7-727-250-4900
Customer Service Statement
The Department of State manages the visa process strictly but fairly in order to best protect the United States. We are committed to the essential openness for which the United States has always been known. Travel to the United States is welcomed and encouraged.
We promise to you, the visa applicant, that:
- We will treat you with dignity and respect, even if we are unable to grant you a visa.
- We will treat you as an individual and your case as unique.
- We will remember that, to you, a visa interview may be a new or intimidating experience and that you may be nervous.
- We will use the limited time available for the interview to get as full a picture as possible of your travel plans and intentions.
- We will use our available resources to fairly assist all applicants to get appointments to allow travel in time for business, study, and other important obligations.
- We will post detailed and accurate information on visa requirements and application procedures on every Embassy and Consulate website.
- We will provide information on non-immigrant appointment waiting times at every Embassy and Consulate posted on http://travel.state.gov.
- We will explain the reason for any visa denial to you.
Furthermore, if you are a:
- Student, we will make every effort to ensure that you get an appointment and, if qualified, a visa in time to start classes.
- Medical and humanitarian emergency traveler, we will expedite processing for those dealing with life threatening emergencies.
- Business traveler, we will establish appropriate mechanisms to facilitate business travel and expedite cases of particular concern to American business.
At the same time, we expect you, the visa applicant, to:
- Plan your travel and visa application as far in advance as possible.
- Complete your application fully and accurately.
- Be forthcoming about your purpose and plans.
- Prepare for your interview by being able to clearly and concisely describe your intentions.
Beginning September 1, 2015 in order to ensure efficient processing and fair wait times for all applicants, only applicants who are residents or citizens of Tajikistan will be able to make appointments through our online appointment calendar.
Iranian applicants are advised that the U.S. Embassies in Yerevan, Dubai, and Ankara are designated as Iran-processing posts, and have Farsi-speaking officers who are able to adjudicate the visa applications of Iranian applicants. U.S. Embassy Dushanbe is not designated to handle applicants who are not resident in Tajikistan.
Nonimmigrant visas are required for travelers who wish to visit the United States temporarily for tourism, business, studies or cultural exchanges. Nonimmigrant visa applicants are required to schedule an appointment for an interview with a United States Consular officer. Interviews are by appointment only; Monday 13:00 and Tuesday -Thursday 09:00, except on American and Tajik holidays. We do not accept walk-in applicants.
Please, read important NOTICE on Visas for Children.
On average, visa processing takes approximately two working days, however, the need for additional administrative processing and/or incomplete applications may significantly increase the time it takes to process your visa application. Therefore, appointments should be scheduled at least 4-6 weeks prior to your desired departure date. Airline tickets should not be purchased until you have your visa in your hand. To find out the typical visa interview wait time click here.
Third Country Nationals
IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR NON-RESIDENTS OF TAJIKISTAN
To ensure efficient processing and fair wait times, only applicants who are residents or citizens of Tajikistan will be able to make appointments through our online appointment calendar. Appointments for non-residents (defined as non-citizens who neither work nor live in Dushanbe), including Russian citizens living in Russia, can only be accommodated through email notification. Non-residents are kindly requested to contact the Consular section at email@example.com to make an appointment, and should be aware that appointments made through the online system at a time reserved for Tajik residents will be subject to cancellation.
Applicants from outside of Tajikistan may apply for visas according to the instructions described above. However, you should be aware that unfamiliarity with local conditions in other countries may make it more difficult to demonstrate your qualifications for a visa here than in your home country or at a post designated for your application. We would like to point out that our Diplomatic Posts in Ankara, Dubai, and Yerevan have Farsi/Persian-speaking officers who are able to interview applicants from Iran.
Please understand that we have limited resources and our primary responsibility is to make certain appointment slots are available for Tajik visa applicants. As a result, we are not able to offer expedited interviews for non-residents.