Event: The Dushanbe International Airport remains closed. Many countries are imposing strict travel restrictions in response to COVID-19. As a result, there is no way to predict how long it will take for the Dushanbe International Airport to reopen and commercial flight routes to be reestablished. Except for a possible Somon Air flight, the U.S. Embassy is not aware of any other planned commercial flights being planned.
The Department of State is exploring options for and interest in a potential evacuation flight for U.S. citizens. Given the limited number of U.S. citizens currently in Tajikistan and the lack of current demand, it may be difficult to arrange for a repatriation flight at this time. In the event we are able to arrange a charter flight to take American citizens from Dushanbe to the United States, the date of departure would likely occur in the time period from late-April through mid-May. If a charter flight occurs, it is likely to be the only opportunity to depart Tajikistan until commercial flights resume. It is important you contact us now, through the link provided below, if you think you may be interested in a repatriation flight.
Please note that all passengers will need to reimburse the U.S. Government for the flight, and a promissory note must be signed before boarding. We estimate that the one-way cost for a seat on this possible charter flight would be approximately $1,500, although the exact figure will not be certain until the flight is confirmed.
REQUEST: The U.S. Embassy is requesting all U.S. citizens and U.S. Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) in Tajikistan who possess valid travel documents and are interested in a possible repatriation flight to the United States to complete a request for assistance as soon as possible.
The request for assistance form is available here.
Each traveler requesting assistance, including minor children, should submit a separate form. Include U.S. citizen minors on one adult submission. The information provided will be used to compete the necessary paperwork for a repatriation flight. If a flight is arranged, seats may be limited and will only be available for U.S. citizens and U.S. Legal Permanent Residents.
U.S. Passport and Tajik Visa: Please take this time to check your travel documents to ensure that your U.S. passport and Tajik visa are valid. If you need assistance with obtaining a new U.S. passport, please contact DushanbeConsular@state.gov immediately. NOTE: You must have a valid visa to exit Tajikistan. If your visa has expired, contact the Main Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs immediately at 227-6363 or 227-3838 located on 34 Pushkin Street, Dushanbe to resolve any visa issues. You will not be allowed resolve visa issues at the airport.
Actions to Take:
- Complete the online request for repatriation services if you would like to return to the United States.
- Confirm Tajik visa is valid. Contact the Tajik Main Consular Department at 227-6363 or 227-3838 to resolve visa issues.
- Prepare to shelter-in-place for an extended period of time if remaining in Tajikistan.
- Avoid large gatherings and practice social distancing.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.