Dushanbe, Tajikistan, March 27, 2021 – The U.S. Diplomatic Mission to Tajikistan, in collaboration with eight American Spaces in Tajikistan announces the launch of a Poetry Contest titled “ПаёмPoetry” in celebration of the 30 years of U.S.-Tajikistan partnership, UN English Language Day, and National Poetry Month. Anyone wishing to demonstrate his/her talent may participate by reciting a poem in either Tajiki or English and posting it on Instagram. The contest will take part virtually and will last for one month starting from March 27, 2021 till April 18, 2021. Winners in the categories of best Tajiki-language poem and best English-language poem will be awarded with kindles.
The Contest will be run on Instagram:
- Participants should make a video (one minute or less) performance recitation of a poem in Tajiki or English and post it on Instagram using #USTJ30 and tagging their nearest American Space. (@americanspacedushanbe; @americanspacekhujand; @americanspacepanjakent; @americanspaceisfara; @americanspacekulob; @americanspacebokhtar; @americanspacegharm; or @americanspacekhorugh)
- Poems should be in Tajiki or English, and can be a modern/classic poem, or self-written.
- Each contestant can submit up to three poems in their desired style of poetry
- The deadline for submitting poems is midnight, April 18th.
- No age limits for contestants
Criteria for choosing a winner:
- Quality of Poem delivery (verbal or sign language)
- Beauty of the video (attractiveness of background, clarity of video, etc.)
- Technical quality
A panel of expert judges will make a selection per the above criteria and select two winners- one in Tajiki and another in English. Winners will be announced virtually during the English Language Day Festival on April 23 and will be awarded with kindles.
The panel of expert judges will consist of Darren Thies, Information Officer U.S. Embassy; Orzu Iso, Shoira Rahimjon and Anisa Sobiri.
- March 27 to April 18th – Launching the contest. Contestants can submit their work on Instagram
- April 19-22 – Winners selection by the panel of expert judges.
- April 23rd – Announcement the winners will be done virtually during International English Language Day through American Space Dushanbe’s page. The two winners will receive kindles to support their continued enjoyment of English and Tajik poetry