Dushanbe, Tajikistan, February 8, 2021 – The U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan announces the opening of applications from journalists in Tajikistan and Central Asia to participate in the virtual training at the Institute for Journalism in Central Asia for 2021 as part of the Central Asia Media Exchange Program (CAMEX). The Institute for Journalism in Central Asia is a unique conference platform for journalists and journalism students that provides an opportunity to gain the skills necessary for a successful career in journalism and media.
The institute will provide an interactive curriculum to develop the skills of participants in areas such as data journalism, digital media, social media, podcasting and storytelling. The program will also strengthen participants’ knowledge of ethics in journalism, source verification, and disinformation. The Institute is open to participants from all over Central Asia and aims to develop an interregional network of independent journalists and media organizations in Central Asia. Participants will collaborate with each other during the training and, upon completion, continue to interact with a wider network of regional journalists, including through the GOViral network.
The program is supported by the US Department of State and implemented by the Meridian International Center in Washington, USA.
Institute for 2021:
The American University of Central Asia will host participants from March 29 to April 23 online. Training modules include media literacy, data journalism and new media technologies. The training will be conducted in Russian. Participation in the program is completely free. The organizers will only consider candidates who are willing to complete the entire proposed course (four weeks) online.
Qualification requirements for applicants:
- Must be a citizen or resident of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan
- Age 18 to 30 as of March 29, 2021
- Journalist or journalism student
Successful candidates must meet the following selection criteria:
- Relevant experience and / or training in the field
- Leadership and commitment to career growth, positive attitude, and initiative.
- Striving to develop a network of independent journalists and media in Central Asia.
- Good knowledge of the Russian language
How do I apply?
Complete the online application below. The application must consist of:
- One letter of recommendation from a scientific and / or professional supervisor.
- Two examples of your work published in the last three (3) years.
Online Application: https://fs3.formsite.com/Meridian1630/2021institut/index.html
Applications are accepted until February 19, 2021 Dushanbe time.
Admission decisions will be announced in March.
If you have any questions, please contact CASummerInstitute@meridian.org