Apply for a Child’s Passport

Special Requirements for Children (Under Age 16 Years)

In addition to the required documentation listed above, the following are also required to process passport applications for children under age 16.

1.  Both parents are required to accompany minor applicants to the Embassy.  If one parent is not in country, the applying parent must provide one of the following documents to explain the absence of the other parent:

  • Notarized Form (DS-3053) from the absent parent which gives permission to the present parent to apply for their child.
  • Evidence of sole custody of the child (divorce decree, death certificate, etc.)

2. Evidence of child’s relationship to parents/guardians; original birth certificate with parents’ names, consular report of birth abroad (CRBA), adoption decree with adopting parents’ names. These documents must in English or translated into English. Copies are not acceptable.

3. Parents must provide proof of their identity; passport or a government issued picture identification card or naturalization certificate may be presented.

4. The child must prove his/her identity. As a child’s appearance may change significantly over time, the consular officer may ask for additional proof of identity. Please bring as much proof as possible. Examples of items that can be used to establish a child’s identity are:

  • A passport issued by another country
  • School ID card with photo
  • Police/immigration registration record with attached photo
  • Growing age photos (i.e., a series of family photographs from various ages since the child’s last passport was issued–for example, if the child is now five years old and the passport was issued shortly after his/her birth, bring family photos showing the child at ages 1, 2, 3 and 4).
  • Please note: you will not be able to bring any electronic devices into the Consular Section so please have photos printed out for review.