Checklist for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Complete and bring the items on this checklist to your interview.

You must bring the original documents and single-sided photocopies.  Original documents will be returned to you after your interview.
You must provide certified English translation of all foreign language documents.

  1. If you are NOT able to use the online application, please fill out the Consular Report of Birth Abroad Application (DS-2029):
    Completed but unsigned Form DS-2029 (read the instructions to the form carefully and answer all questions).
  2. Proof of child’s birth:
    Child’s official birth certificate (must show child’s name and parent(s) name).
  3. Parents’ marriage certificate:
    Marriage certificate issued by appropriate authorities of the country in which the marriage took place.
  4. Proof of termination of all prior marriages for both parents:
    Documentation that shows the termination of a prior marriage can include divorce decrees or a death certificate.
  5. Evidence of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship (any of the following is acceptable evidence of citizenship):
    A full-validity U.S. passport.
    birth certificate (should have parents’ names, a seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office).
    Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
    Certificate of Naturalization.
  6. Both parents’ IDs (any of the following is acceptable proof of ID):
    A full-validity passport.
    Government-issued ID card with photo and signature.
  7. Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth. Examples of documents which may be submitted as evidence of U.S. citizen’s physical presence include but not limited to:
    Academic transcripts.
    Wage and tax statements (W-2).
    Employment records.
    Rental receipts.
    Previous passports/U.S. passport with entry and exit stamps.
    Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment.
  8. Proof of relationship:
    If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth, bring evidence of the parents’ physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (e.g., through passport stamps, military travel orders), as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (e.g., photos, e-mails).
  9. A U.S. citizen parent is unable to attend the interview:
    If the U.S. citizen parent who is transmitting citizenship to your child is not present when applying for a CRBA, the applying parent must submit the Form DS-5507 from the non-applying U.S. citizen parent listing the periods of time that the U.S. citizen parent was physically present in the United States.  The form must be filled out and signed by the U.S. citizen parent and notarized by a U.S. notarial official with a certified copy of the U.S. citizen parent’s proof of citizenship enclosed.  The applying parent must bring the original Form DS-5507 (not a photocopy) to the appointment. 
  10. Processing fee – $100 (paid in cash and if only NOT applying online).

In certain cases, it may be necessary to submit additional documents, including prenatal records or medical reports of blood compatibility.  Please note that, if requested, samples for DNA tests are collected in the presence of a consular officer.