A child born to a U.S. citizen parent usually acquires U.S. citizenship at birth. To establish the child’s U.S. citizenship you will need to process an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA). The CRBA, also known as an FS-240, is acceptable as proof of birth and U.S. citizenship for all legal purposes.

To process a CRBA application, the following original documents must be submitted: (copies are not acceptable; however certified true copies, by a U.S. Notary Public, of some originals may be accepted, it depends upon the type of document).

(You must submit certified English translations of all foreign language documents.)

  • Child’s official birth certificate (must show child’s name and parent(s) name);
  • Completed (but not signed) Form DS-2029 Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad (all questions must be answered);
  • Evidence of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S. prior to the child’s birth;
  • Evidence of the parent(s)’ U.S. citizenship (current U.S. passport, or naturalization certificate);
  • Evidence of both parent(s)’ identity (passport, or government issued ID card with photo and signature);
  • Parents’ registered marriage certificate (if applicable);
  • Evidence of termination of any previous marriages (if applicable);
  • Processing fee – $100 (fees are subject to change).

Examples of documents which may be submitted as evidence of U.S. physical presence (but are not limited to):

  • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
  • Academic transcripts
  • Employment records
  • Rental receipts
  • Previous passports/U.S. passport stamps
  • Records of honorable U.S. military service, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment

Once you have completed all the appropriate application forms and gathered all required supporting documentation, contact the consular section at (992)-37-229-2300 or via email at to request an appointment. Both parents and the child must come to the Embassy for an interview.  If both parents are not in country and able to be present for the interview, the parent who is unable to attend must provide:

In certain cases it may be necessary to submit additional documents, including prenatal records or medical reports of blood compatibility.

Please note that, if requested, samples for DNA tests are collected in the presence of a Consular Officer. Due to COVID-19 mitigation efforts, DNA collections are not possible at this time at the U.S. Embassy in Dushanbe.

Additional information about establishing an official record of your child’s claim to U.S. citizenship at birth is available on the Department of State website.