U.S. Ambassador Susan M. Elliott, together with the Mayor of Konibodom City, Mr. Gaybullo Bohiri, inaugurated the historical museum, Madrasa Mirrajab Dodkhoh, in Konibodom. Madrasa Mirrajab Dodkhoh, was constructed in the second half of 17th century (1659-1669 AD) with the help of local craftsmen. The Ministry of Culture oversees the complex and it is open to the public operating as a museum. The Tajik public organization “Tarakkiyot” initiated the renovation of the Madrassa in September 2013, funded by a $79,600 grant from the U.S. Government’s Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP).
AFCP supports the preservation of cultural sites, cultural objects and forms of traditional cultural expressions in more than 100 developing countries around the world. Since its beginning in 2001, AFCP has funded 15 projects in Tajikistan in the amount of over $540,000. Previously funded projects include the preservation and protection of the 9th Century Khoja Mashhad Madrasa and Mausoleum in Shahrituz, the conservation of murals from the Lower Palace of Ancient Panjakent, and the restoration and protection of a collection from the State Museum of Antiquities. AFCP also funded the publication of Tajikistan Historical Sites Catalog prepared by the Ministry of Culture of Tajikistan to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Independence of Tajikistan.
The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs administers the Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation. The Bureau, through its cultural preservation activities, promotes cooperation with other countries to reduce the threat of pillage of irreplaceable cultural heritage, and to develop long-term strategies for preserving cultural property. Since 1992, the American people have provided over $1 billion in programs and humanitarian aid that support Tajikistan’s democratic institutions, health care, culture, education and economic growth.