Dushanbe, Tajikistan, December 23, 2016 – In light of the current terrorist threat level, upcoming holidays, and recent events in Berlin and Ankara, the U.S. Embassy in Dushanbe would like to remind U.S. citizens of the following recommendations that we first provided on November 9 and which remain current:
- Avoid large crowds and public transportation to the extent possible.
- While traveling in Gorno-Badakhshan, avoid camping or biking after dark in the vicinity of the Afghan border, especially between populated areas. Do not shelter in the open after dark.
The Embassy remains open during normal operating hours, although it will be closed on Monday, December 26 and Monday, January 2 for Christmas and New Year’s Day respectively.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Tajikistan’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan, located at 109 A Ismoili Somoni Avenue, (Zarafshon district) Dushanbe, Tajikistan 734019, at992-37-229-2300 or 992-37-229-2000. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 992-98-580-1032.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us onTwitter and Facebook.