Location: Tajikistan, countrywide
Event: In working closely with Tajik authorities, we can confirm that two U.S. citizen cyclists were killed in the Danghara district on July 29. According to multiple sources, on July 29 Tajik citizens hit seven foreign cyclists with their vehicle, exited the car, and stabbed the cyclists with knives. The Ministry of Internal Affairs has detained one suspect and killed at least three other suspects.
As of now, the U.S. Embassy has no evidence that indicates a heightened level of threat to U.S. citizens. We encourage U.S. citizens to maintain awareness of their surroundings and take the precautions recommended below.
We condemn the senseless attack, offer our deepest condolences to the families of the victims, and wish the injured a speedy recovery. Because of privacy concerns, we are unable to share further details about the U.S. citizens.
The Embassy commends Tajik authorities on their professional and quick response to the incident, and we will continue to work closely with them on the ongoing investigation.
Actions to Take:
· Be aware of your surroundings.
· Keep a low profile.
· Monitor local media for updates.
· Review your personal security plans.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan, located at 109 A Ismoili Somoni Avenue, (Zarafshon district) Dushanbe, Tajikistan 734019, at 992-37-229-2300 or 992-37-229-2000. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 992-98-580-1032. Their e-mail address is: email@example.com.
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
· Tajikistan Country Information
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates