January 30, 2023
Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Dushanbe
Event: The U.S. Embassy in Dushanbe recommends that American citizens review the content of Tajikistan’s Country Specific Information on travel.state.gov, including the following security-related information. Tajik authorities maintain a high level of security to thwart terrorist attacks. This could lead terrorists to seek softer targets including facilities where U.S. citizens and other foreigners congregate such as residential areas; clubs and restaurants; markets; places of worship; schools; hotels; outdoor recreational events, including popular hiking areas; and resorts. U.S. citizens should avoid predictable patterns of movement and revealing their personal information and location on social media. If using social media, ensure your privacy settings are appropriately set.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid non-essential travel to areas along the Tajikistan-Afghanistan and Tajikistan-Kyrgyzstan border regions.
- Keep a low profile and stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Notify friends and family of your travel plans.
- U.S. citizens who travel abroad should always have a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- U.S. Embassy Dushanbe
109 A Ismoili Somoni Ave.
+992 (37) 229 20 00
+992 (37) 229 20 50
- State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)