2020 Application – Now accepting applications for the 2020 Summer Institute in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
The Central Asian Journalism Summer Institute provides early-career journalists and journalism students with the skills they need to launch successful careers in journalism and media. The Summer Institute will provide an interactive curriculum to develop participants’ skills in areas such as data journalism, digital media, social media, podcasting, and storytelling. The program will also strengthen participants’ knowledge of ethics in journalism, source verification, and disinformation. The Summer Institute is open to participants from across Central Asia and aims to develop a cross-regional network of Central Asian independent journalists and media organizations. Participants will collaborate together during the training and upon their return home continue to engage with a broader network of regional journalists, including through the GOViral network. The Central Asian Journalism Summer Institute is part of the Central Asian Media Exchange Program funded by the U.S. Department of State and implemented by Meridian International Center.
2020 Summer Institute:
American University of Central Asia will host the Central Asian Journalism Summer Institute from June 22, 2020 to July 17, 2020 in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic. Training modules include Media Literacy, Data Journalism, and New Media Technologies. The Summer Institute will be conducted in Russian.
The scholarship for this program provides international travel to and from the Summer Institute, lodging, local transportation, a meal stipend, accident insurance, and program materials. Meridian will only consider applicants who are willing to participate in all four weeks of the Summer Institute.
Eligibility and Selection:
- Citizen, national, or resident of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, or Uzbekistan
- 18 to 30 years of age on June 22, 2020
- Journalist or journalism student
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following selection criteria:
- Relevant experience and/or study in the field
- Leadership and commitment to career growth, positive attitude, and initiative
- Commitment to develop a network of Central Asian independent journalist and media outlets
- Strong English language skills (preferred)
Applications must be submitted online. Application packages must include:
- Two letters of recommendation from an academic supervisor and a professional supervisor (sent directly to Meridian)
- Two examples of recent work
Online Application (only in Russian): https://fs3.formsite.com/Meridian1630/2020letniiinstitut/index.html
Applications are due March 1, 2020 20:00 Dushanbe time (21:00 Almaty time).
Selection decisions will be announced in May. Please email questions to CASummerInstitute@meridian.org.