Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Dushanbe, Tajikistan (April 30, 2020)
Event: The Government of Tajikistan today confirmed the presence of COVID-19 cases in the country.
Action: The U.S. Embassy recommends that U.S.citizens in Tajikistan take appropriate measures to shelter in place and limit, or seek to eliminate, social interaction in light of the confirmation of COVID-19 in the country, along with reports about deaths due to pneumonia and other illnesses with symptoms consistent with the novel coronavirus.
The Tajik government may implement measures to close markets, restaurants, and public spaces in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Residents of Dushanbe and other cities, including U.S. citizens and other foreign nationals, may encounter restrictions of freedom of movement. The U.S. Embassy advises all U.S. citizens to adhere to local regulations.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel Due to the Global Impact of COVID-19.
There are numerous reports that demand for medical treatment at hospitals and health facilities in many locations in Tajikistan exceeds capacity.
On March 14, U.S. Embassy personnel and their families received authorization to request departure from Tajikistan in order to return to the United States due to limited flight connectivity that could impede access to medical care. Many employees and family members of the U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan have returned to the United States. As a result, the U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan may need to reduce access to certain services for U.S. citizens.
The Dushanbe International Airport is currently closed but may reopen for short periods of time. Flights may be restored and/or cancelled with no advance notification, and seat and/or flight availability might be limited or nonexistent. All U.S. citizens who wish to leave Tajikistan should actively seek available departing flights and arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
Effective March 17, 2020, U.S. Embassy Dushanbe has suspended routine consular services. For emergency American Citizens Services, including emergency passport issuances, please send an email to DushanbeConsular@state.gov to schedule an appointment.
Actions to Take:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19.
- Have a travel plan that does not rely on the U.S. Government for assistance.
- Check with your airlines or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Book tickets on the next outgoing flight if you wish to depart Tajikistan.
- Confirm Tajik visa is valid prior to traveling. Contact the Tajik Main Consular Department at 227-6363 to resolve visa issues.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Dushanbe
109 A Ismoili Somoni Ave.
+992 (37) 229 20 00
+992 (37) 229 20 50, 236 04 30
- State Department – Bureau of Consular Affairs
+1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada)
+1-202-501-4444 (from other countries)
- Tajikistan Country Specific Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter