The U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan announces the 2023-2024 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program, a program of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and administered by IREX.
The Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (FTEA) Program provides international secondary-level teachers with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States. FTEA consists of a six-week non-degree, non-credit customized academic program, which includes seminars on new teaching methodologies, student-centered learning, content-based instruction, lesson planning, and instructional technology. Participants will also take part in a practicum in a U.S. secondary school near their host university to work closely with U.S. teachers and teach and present to U.S. students. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided throughout the program. The international participants will travel to the United States in two cohorts of approximately 80 teachers each in January or September of 2023.
Fulbright Teachers support people-to-people diplomacy throughout their time in the United States, in U.S. host classrooms and communities.
Application deadline: March 5, 2023.
Please submit online applications at https://fulbright.irex.org
Refer to online application guide (PDF 1 MB) for detailed information on how to complete application.
FTEA Program Announcement (PDF 323 KB)
FTEA ML Institutional Support and Reference Form (PDF 315 KB)
FTEA ML Leave Approval Form (PDF 290 KB)
The TEA fellowship is fully funded and provides:
- Funding to cover Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) testing
- J-1 visa support
- A pre-departure orientation held in participant’s home country
- Round-trip airfare to and within the United States
- An end-of program workshop in Washington, DC.
- Academic program fees
- Housing (generally shared with other program fellows) and meals
- Accident and sickness medical insurance coverage
- Transportation to the teaching practicum school (if necessary)
- A daily allowance for meals and incidentals during the academic program
- A baggage/shipping allowance (domestic and international)
- A book/professional development allowance
Program Eligibility Requirements:
- Current full-time teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language (EFL), math, science, foreign language or social studies including special education teachers in those subjects, at institutions serving primarily a local population.
- Have earned a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- Be citizens and residents of Tajikistan.
- Minimum of three years of experience of full-time teaching by the start of program, with a preference for those who have completed at least five years of full-time experience.
- Proficient in written and spoken English with a paper based TOEFL score of 450 or TOEFL iBT score of 45 or higher*
- Secondary-level teachers include both middle and high school teachers serving students between approximately 12 and 18 years of age.
- Continue teaching after completion of the program; and
- Have submitted a complete online application by the deadline.
Educational administrators (such as representatives or officials of the Ministry of Education) and school administrators who do not teach at least fifty percent of their time, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English Language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible.
An independent review committee will be convened to select participants for the program through merit-based competition. IELTS/TOEFL scores are not required at the time of your application. Semi-finalists will be invited for the interview.
Final decisions will be made by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State in Washington, DC.
The application form must reflect the individual work of the applicant. Plagiarism that renders the language, thoughts, expressions and ideas of another author as your own work without proper permission is unacceptable. Any type of plagiarism in the applicant’s application form or essay serves as a ground for immediate disqualification from the program.
Kickoff and end-of-program meetings will be held for all participants in Washington, DC. For additional information, please contact Nigina Mirzoeva, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan; tel: 2292330, email: EnglishProgramsDushanbe@state.gov