The U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan announces applications to the Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program, a program of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and administered by IREX.
The Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (FTEA) Program provides international secondary-level teachers with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States. FTEA consists of a six-week non-degree, non-credit customized academic program including seminars on new teaching methodologies, student-centered learning, content-based instruction, lesson planning, and instructional technology. Participants will also take part in a practicum in a U.S. secondary school near their host university to work closely with U.S. teachers and teach and present to U.S. students. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided throughout the program. The international participants will travel to the United States in two cohorts of approximately 80 teachers each in the spring or fall of 2022.
Fulbright Teachers support people-to-people diplomacy throughout their time in the United States, in U.S. host classrooms and communities.
The TEA fellowship is fully funded and provides:
- Funding to cover Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) testing;
- J-1 visa support;
- A pre-departure orientation held in participant’s home country;
- Round-trip airfare to and within the U.S;
- An End-of program Workshop in Washington, D.C.;
- Academic program fees;
- Housing (generally shared with other program fellows) and meals;
- Accident and sickness medical insurance coverage;
- Transportation to the teaching practicum school (if necessary);
- A daily allowance for meals and incidentals during the academic program;
- A baggage/shipping allowance (domestic and international);
- A book/professional development allowance.
Program Eligibility Requirements
- Current secondary-level, full-time teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language (EFL), math, science, social studies, including special education teachers in those subjects at an institution serving primarily a local population;
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- Be citizens and residents of Tajikistan;
- TAJIKFive years of full-time teaching experience;
- Proficient in written and spoken English with a paper based TOEFL score of 450 or TOEFL iBT score of 45 or higher*
- Secondary-level teachers include both middle and high school teachers serving students; between approximately 12 and 18 years of age;
- Continue teaching after completion of the program; and
- Have submitted a complete online application.
Educational administrators (such as representatives or officials of the Ministry of Education) and school administrators who do not teach at least fifty percent of their time, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English Language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible.
An independent review committee will be convened to select participants for the program through merit-based competition. IELTS/TOEFL scores are not required at the time of your application. Semi-finalists will be invited for the interview.
Final decision will be made by the Bureau of Cultural and Educational Affairs of the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C.
The application form must show the individual work of the participant. Plagiarism that renders the language, thoughts, expressions, and ideas of another author as your own work without proper permission is unacceptable. Any type of plagiarism in the applicant’s application form or essay serves as a ground for immediate disqualification from the program.
At the beginning and end of the program, meetings will be held for all participants in Washington, DC.
Application Deadline: February 28, 2021
Please submit online applications at https://fulbright.irex.org
Refer to online application guide (PDF 903 KB) for detailed information on how to complete application.
For additional information contact:
Sitora Kasimova, U.S. Embassy, Public Affairs Section
Fulbright TEA Program Announcement (PDF – 311KB)
Fulbright TEA Program Information Sheet (PDF – 126KB)
Fulbright TEA Program Online Application Guide for Applicants (PDF – 1MB)
Fulbright TEA Program Institutional Support and Reference Form (PDF – 328KB)
Fulbright TEA Program Leave Approval Form (PDF – 280KB)