This message to U.S. citizens is to provide updates to recommendations contained in emergency messages sent by the U.S. Embassy on September 4 and September 5.
As of Thursday, September 10, there have been no new attacks in Dushanbe or other urban areas around Tajikistan, although skirmishes between law enforcement personnel and men associated with former Deputy Defense Minister Abduhalim Nazarzoda have continued in rural areas, particularly near Romit Gorge and portions of Varzob District. According to media and law enforcement sources, several of the participants involved in the September 4 attacks in Vahdat and Dushanbe remain at large, and the police operation to capture them continues.
The U.S. Embassy reiterates its recommendation to U.S. citizens to avoid traveling by road outside of urban areas. We would discourage U.S. citizens from taking part in traditional weekend activities out-of-town, such as hiking and camping. All official travel by road outside of urban areas for Embassy personnel remains suspended and/or canceled. We recommend U.S. citizens to continue exercising vigilance and encourage U.S. citizens to avoid big gatherings and events that could attract large crowds.
We will continue to provide updates as the situation develops.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Tajikistan Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan located at 109 A Ismoili Somoni Avenue,at 992-37-229-2300, Mon, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. and Tue – Fri, 2 – 4 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is 992-98-580-1032 or 992-37-229-2000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.