Last updated: 11/11/2021
*** Effective November 8, 2021, all non-immigrant, non-U.S. citizen air travelers to the United States will be required to be fully vaccinated and to provide proof of vaccination status prior to boarding an airplane to the United States.
U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) who are eligible to travel but are not fully vaccinated will need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test one (1) day before their flight. U.S citizens and LPRs who are fully vaccinated will need to present airlines with proof of vaccination and of a negative COVID-19 test three (3) days before their flight.
Exemptions will be considered on an extremely limited basis. Please contact your nearest embassy or consulate to apply for an exemption. Please visit the CDC webpages for more information about exemptions and the requirement for proof of negative COVID-19 test or recovery from COVID-19 for all air passengers arriving in the United States.
- Reconsider travel to Tajikistan due to the State Department’s Travel Advisory (Level 4: Do Not Travel) and other measures, including mandatory testing and quarantine requirements implemented by the Government of Tajikistan in response to COVID-19.
- Access to medical care at Tajik hospitals and clinics may be limited.
- Medical evacuation, even for those with medevac insurance, may not be possible due to the limited number of commercial flights.
- Grocery stores are open during normal business hours.
- Community transmission of the virus continues.
- NOTE: The Government of Tajikistan frequently adjusts its entry and exit requirements in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, and changes to policy are not immediately made available to the public.
Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in TAJIKISTAN? Yes
If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- COVID-19 PCR tests, the type of test required for international air travel from Tajikistan, are available in Dushanbe. Below are some clinics providing PCR test services:
- Diamed Clinic (44-601-90-16) provides English language test results during a day at a cost of 168 TJS (approximately $15) paid by the patient. Travelers will need to collect a physical copy of their results from the clinic;
- Prospekt Medical Clinic (48-702-44-00) charges 367 TJS (approximately $32) paid by the patient with the next-day results. The clinic provides the services during weekdays and is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Travelers will need to collect a physical copy of their results from the clinic.
- Ahvat Clinic (223-44-44) provides English language test results during a day at a cost of 150 TJS (approximately $36). Travelers will need to collect a physical copy of their results from the clinic.
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
Has the government of TAJIKISTAN approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
Are vaccines available in TAJIKISTAN for U.S. citizens to receive? Yes
Which vaccines are available in TAJIKISTAN?
- The U.S. Embassy in Dushanbe is aware that Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Sputnik V and Sinovac-CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccines are available at Prospekt Medical Clinic (48-702-44-00), subject to availability. Please contact the clinic directly for information about cost and availability.
- The quality of Tajikistan’s medical infrastructure is significantly below Western standards, with shortages of basic medical supplies, including disposable needles, anesthetics, and antibiotics.
- Due to extremely limited vaccine availability, we strongly recommend that travelers complete their COVID-19 vaccination before traveling to Tajikistan.
Visit the FDA’s website to learn more about FDA-approved vaccines in the United States. The U.S. government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements
Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- U.S. citizens are required to obtain a Tajik visa prior to entering Tajikistan.
- In addition to receiving a visa, U.S. citizens seeking to enter Tajikistan via land border must obtain permission from the Republican COVID-19 Task Force in advance. Please contact the nearest Embassy of Tajikistan for more information.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, land borders may be inaccessible to travelers without notice.
Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes
- All travelers must show results from a negative COVID-19 PCR test issued within 72 hours of arrival. Test results are verified before passengers are allowed to board flights to Dushanbe and again upon arrival in Dushanbe.
Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- All travelers may be subject to PCR testing at the airport upon arrival. Travelers will provide contact information and be allowed to leave the airport. If the result is positive for COVID-19, travelers may be transferred to a government quarantine facility.
- Travelers required to register with OVIR must also submit a copy of their COVID-19 vaccination certificate.
- Travelers will not be permitted to leave the country if their visas have expired. Please check your travel documents to ensure that your U.S. passport and Tajik visa are valid. For questions regarding Tajik visas and visa extensions, please contact the Main Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at 227-6363 or 227-3838 located on 34 Pushkin Street, Dushanbe.
Is a curfew in place? No
Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? No
- Officially, travelers who arrive without documentation of a negative COVID-19 PCR test issued within 72 hours of arrival are subject to testing. These travelers will be subject to quarantine until return of negative test results. This could lead to 14 days in a government quarantine facility. Practically, however, authorities will not allow passengers to board flights to Dushanbe without documentation of negative COVID-19 PCR test issued with 72 hours of arrival.
Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- FlyDubai and Somon Air operate flights between Dushanbe and Dubai. Turkish Airlines and Somon Air operate flights between Dushanbe and Istanbul. Once per week, travelers can fly to Tashkent on Uzbekistan Airways and Somon Air, and to Almaty on Air Astana and Somon Air. Please contact the airlines directly for reservations.
Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Masks are required on public transportation.
Fines for Non-Compliance
- The Tajik government has mandated the use of masks in public. Failure to wear a protective face mask in public may result in a fine.
Most routine services for U.S. citizens in Tajikistan have been resumed . To make an appointment, please use the online calendar. If you are unable to schedule an appointment through the online calendar and need an urgent appointment, please contact DushanbeConsular@state.gov, specifying the requested service and the type of emergency.
Visa services at the U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan are currently available on a very limited basis. Please see our Visas page for additional information.