Summary: The U.S. Embassy in Dushanbe is pleased to invite candidate applications for the summer 2023 Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSIs) for Young Women Leaders on Environmental Issues.
Program Description: Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders are intensive academic programs whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The Institutes will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities. The Institutes will include an academic residency component of approximately four weeks and a domestic study tour of approximately one week.
Study of the U.S. Institutes for Young Women Leaders enhance participants’ knowledge of U.S. democratic principles and society, culture, values, and institutions, while developing their leadership skills in areas such as critical thinking, communication, decision-making, and management. The Institutes will incorporate a focus on American historical events as well as contemporary American life including current political, social, and economic debates in a pluralistic society. The Institutes will examine how American government policies, business and private sector practices, and socio-cultural norms and values engage and affect women through the four thematic lenses presented below. The Institutes will also provide participants with opportunities to discuss current U.S. and global women’s issues such as: progress and opportunities for women’s leadership; combatting violence against women; addressing income disparity and other challenges to women in the workplace; women’s health issues; and the ways in which women can contribute to global peace, security, and stability.
Candidate Description and Qualifications: Female candidates selected for this program should:
- be proficient in English;
- demonstrate interest in the Institute topic;
- be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies, and therefore be committed to return to their home universities following completion of the program;
- demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- demonstrate commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;
- have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
- be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel; and,
- be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
Completed applications (WORD 50 KB), should be submitted NO LATER THAN November 15, 2022 at 17:00 (Dushanbe time zone) to: USAExchangesDushanbe@state.gov
Please write to USAExchangesDushanbe@state.gov with any questions about the application process.