Summary: The Study of the U.S. Branch (ECA/A/E/USS) is pleased to invite candidate nominations from posts for a summer 2017 Study of the U.S. Institute for Student Leaders from Tajikistan interested in the topic of Women’s Leadership. Program dates are June 27 to August 1, 2017. The Institute will be hosted at Green River Community College in Auburn, Washington.
1. Program Description:
Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSI) for Student Leaders are intensive academic programs whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States, while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The Institutes will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities. The Institutes will include an academic residency component of approximately four weeks and a domestic study tour of approximately one week.
During the academic residency, participants will also have the opportunity to engage in educational and cultural activities outside of the classroom. The Institute will focus on two major areas: (1) Developing participants’ leadership skills in areas such as critical thinking, communication, decision-making, and managerial abilities; and, (2) Placing these abilities in the context of the history and participation of women in U.S. politics, economics, culture, and society. The Institute will examine the historical domestic progress towards women’s equality in the United States, the current domestic successes and challenges to women in a variety of fields, and current challenges in global women’s issues.
The four-week academic residency will be complemented by an educational study tour that will take participants to other locations in the United States, where they will meet with local, state, private, and nonprofit organizations working in the field. The program will conclude in Washington, D.C. with a closing conference including women from the other three Institutes on Women’s Leadership.
2. Candidate Description and Qualifications:
Female candidates selected for this program should:
- be proficient in English;
- be interested in the topic of Women’s Leadership;
- be between 18 and 25 years of age;
- have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies, and therefore be committed to return to their home universities following completion of the program;
- demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
- indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
- have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
- demonstrate commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;
- have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
- be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
- be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel; and,
- be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
Questions about the application process, as well as completed applications(WORD 38 KB), should be submitted NO LATER THAN 26 December, 2016 at 17:00 to:
U.S. Embassy Dushanbe
109A Ismoili Somoni Avenue