The U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan announces the 2022-2023 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program – Media Literacy Cohort, a program of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) and administered by IREX.
The Fulbright TEA Media Literacy Cohort brings international secondary school teachers to the United States for a six-week program to take coursework for professional development at a host university, observe and share their expertise with U.S. colleagues, and develop action plans to promote media literacy and critical thinking skills in their home schools, classrooms, and communities.
Fulbright Teachers support people-to-people diplomacy throughout their time in the United States, in U.S. host classrooms and communities.
All participants have opportunities to observe, co-teach, and share their expertise in U.S. secondary schools.
Application deadline: February 20, 2022
Please submit online applications at https://fulbright.irex.org
Refer to online application guide (PDF 1200 KB) for detailed information on how to complete application.
FTEA Program Announcement (PDF 278 KB)
FTEA ML Institutional Support and Reference Form (PDF 180 KB)
FTEA ML Leave Approval Form (PDF 164 KB)
The Fulbright TEA Media Literacy fellowship provides:
- J-1 visa support
- Funding to cover Internet-based TOEFL (iBT) testing
- A pre-departure orientation held in Tajikistan
- Round-trip airfare to and within the United States
- A welcome orientation and end-of-program workshop
- Academic program fees
- Housing and meals
- Accident and sickness medical coverage
- Transportation to local schools (as needed)
- A daily allowance for incidentals during the university academic program
- Travel allowance
- Opportunity to engage in alumni activities
Program Eligibility Requirements
- Current secondary-level, full-time teachers of English, English as a Foreign Language (EFL), home country language and literature, social studies, civics, history, global studies, media studies, communications, journalism, law, or related fields at institutions serving primarily a local population
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education
- Minimum of three years of experience of full-time teaching by the start of program, with a preference for those who have completed at least five years of full-time experience.
- Be citizen of and resident in Tajikistan
- Earn a minimum score of 500 on the paper-based TOEFL or 61 on the internet-based TOEFL
- Have experience or interest in the field of 21st century media literacy and critical thinking
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the program
- Secondary-level teachers include both middle and high school teachers serving students between approximately 12 and 18 years of age
- Have submitted a complete online application
Educational administrators (such as representatives or officials of the Ministry of Education) and school administrators who do not teach at least fifty percent of their time, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English Language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates are not eligible.
An independent review committee will be convened to select participants for the program through merit-based competition. IELTS/TOEFL scores are not required at the time of your application. Semi-finalists will be invited for the interview.
Final decisions will be made by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C.
The application form must reflect the individual work of the applicant. Plagiarism that renders the language, thoughts, expressions and ideas of another author as your own work without proper permission is unacceptable. Any type of plagiarism in the applicant’s application form or essay serves as a ground for immediate disqualification from the program.
Kickoff and end-of-program, meetings will be held for all participants in Washington, DC.
For additional information, please contact Sitora Kasimova, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Embassy in Tajikistan; Tel: 2292327; email: EnglishProgramsDushanbe@state.gov